Saturday, February 7, 2009

Birthday Cake for Mama & Sister

A wonderful daughter ordered this cake/cupcake combo birthday cake for her mother and younger sister. She wanted to give mum a beautiful cake. How sweet ;o)
One 6"x4" round Lemon Cake + 26 Small Souffle Lemon Cupcakes with lemon crusting buttercream. Fondant figurines.
Price: RM180
Customer's feedback: The cake is nice and the icing taste like cream cheese icing. Some complained the icing too sweet but I found it normal.

Faith's comment: There was no cream cheese added into the lemon crusting butter cream, I took it as a compliment, haha..... As for sweetness I really would like to put a note here since this is not the first time I received such comment, that is, icings are meant to be SWEET. If sugar is reduced, the icing will be too oily and need other agent to emulsify it to hold its shape - just like any other buttercream that can be found in all cake shops. In addition, a lot of the decoration works will also be affected as the icing won't crust. Anyway, cakes are sweet desserts!!

For those who really want less sweetness in their icing there will be 3 choices: normal buttercream; dairy or non-dairy cream (which requires refrigeration); no frosting/icing.

This was the first time I baked this lemon cake recipe and I'm happy she liked it. I personally loved it as I enjoyed the crumbs from leveling the cake. The cake is sour but yet sweet and creamy/milky, simply delicious! Perfect as dessert after a full meal. I highly recommend this cake
;o)


Back view. Fondant simple rolled-up roses. I managed to find the daisy cutter with petal imprint recently and finally. Today I got the chance to use it :P

Mum reading book with glasses and sister with teddy bear, as requested.